Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Shady Nooks Grass Seed is our most shade-tolerant grass seed mixture. This grass seed survives and thrives in both wet and dry shady areas where other turf grass mixtures fail. What makes this proprietary shady seed mixture so great is the unique blend of Black Beauty® turf-type tall fescues and hard fescues.
Because shady lawns receive less sunlight they perform less photosynthesis which means they require less food and do not respond well to overfeeding, especially with high nitrogen fertilizers. Use only Jonathan Green’s Seeding and Sodding Fertilizer which contains phosphorus to encourage deep root growth. This seed germinates in 10-14 days.
- The most shade tolerant turfgrass mixture on the market
- Grows in deep shade right up to the base of trees
- Requires less fertilizer and water than competitor’s mixtures
- Survives and thrives in deeply shaded lawns with either damp or dry soils
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 2,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 1,125 sq. ft.
- 7 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 5,250 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 2,625 sq. ft.
- 25 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 18,750 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 9,375 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall Fescues, Perennial Rye, & Fine Fescues
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Excellent
Light Requirements: Sun to dense shade (4 – 6 hours of sun)
Drought Tolerance: Excellent
Insect & Disease Resistance: Good
High Traffic Tolerance: Good
Planting Depth: ¼ inches
Germination Time: 10 – 14 days